Trillium Heritage Awards 2016
As part of its Preservation Recognition Program, the Shoreline Historical Museum gave its 11th Annual Trillium Heritage Awards to three deserving contestants in North Seattle, Lake Forest Park and Shoreline. All of the award winners have worked to keep the historical integrity of their buildings intact, giving their surrounding communities depth and meaning that might otherwise have been lost.
The award for North Seattle went to the James G. Fletcher /Brillon home in “Fletcher’s Village” at 9102 27th Avenue NW on the west edge of the North Beach Park in the Crown Hill area, where streams run through a wooded ravine behind the house. The property was owned by James G. Fletcher, who was a real estate manager. He decided to develop a portion of his substantial orchard into “Fletcher’s Village,” in which he and his wife and three children would live. In 1930, this secret garden estate was worth a whopping $25,000! The original driveway meandered pleasantly through the orchard, finally arriving at the incredible house. Built with stones, lumber and masonry, the home has an eclectic English Country Garden look, right out of a Beatrix Potter fairy tale. Fine tiles, diamond-mullion windows and other intricate details decorate the home. In 1950, Mr. Fletcher’s son James R. took over the ownership of the property. The Brillons purchased it in 2010 and have maintained it beautifully in its original style and character.
The award for a historic building in Lake Forest Park went to the Hill/MccIntosh home. In the 1920s, Lake Forest Park was a successful development with few restrictions on what kind of home one could build, and still with plenty of room for people to stretch out. Homes had (and mostly still have) wide spaces in between, and at last, the trees, which had been razed to the ground by loggers in about 1900, were starting to come back, giving the area the more woodsy feel that Ole Hansen had once promised in his brochures – “sylvan forests untouched by human hands.” Enter Dr. Howard and Marie Hill. With a good deal of foresight, the Hills, in 1918, purchased property overlooking Lake Washington high above Bothell Way, as well as some additional property on Beach Drive, right along the lake. They continued to live in Seattle, where their daughter attended school and Dr. Hill practiced medicine as a general physician and surgeon. When their daughter graduated from the University of Washington, the Hills built their grand home overlooking the lake, into which they moved in 1928, where they continued to live and garden until the 1950s. The colonial revival brick house boasts two impressive symmetrical stories, with accentuated front porch and entry. The McIntoshes have lovingly kept the home in its original style.
The Trillium Heritage Award for the Shoreline area was presented to Robin and Bill Montero, owners of the Gamekeeper/Montero home.
In 1903, the entire area of what would become Shoreline was a rural mecca for intrepid settlers. Much of the area had been logged by then, so that only stumps and smaller trees stood in the way of building a home or clearing for a farm. There were few families, except in Richmond Beach, which was a bustling small town not far from Happy Valley. It was to this remote area near Hidden Creek that The Ray Smiths came, and they appear to have actually been the very first to start the population of Happy Valley. By the time their first cabin was finished in 1905 though, others were slowly coming to Happy Valley, giving the Smiths some company. The Smiths began to build their permanent home in 1908, and it took them about 6 years to finish the beautiful grand farmhouse nestled strategically above the creek.
In 1929, Bill Boeing Senior, whose residence was close by in the Highlands, purchased all of the Smith property plus other surrounding properties, and installed a game farm with residences for employees who would take care of the both the game and the fish hatchery situated upstream from Hidden Lake. The Smiths beautiful home was then occupied by the Schwehms who became the gamekeepers. Despite some slight remodeling done by other owners after the Schwehms moved in 1950, the house has been maintained very close to its pleasing original form by the Monteros who became the owners in 1994.
The Shoreline Historical Museum’s Trillium Heritage Awards raise awareness of the community’s roots, and encourages excellence in the maintenance and perpetuation of historic buildings in accordance with their original style. Congratulations to the 2016 winners.