The USS Boston and Hamlin Park
Ultimately, the ship was decommissioned in Bremerton on July 7, 1907 and became a training vessel for the Oregon Naval Militia on June 15, 1911. It returned to Bremerton in September of 1916, and was transferred to the Shipping Board and converted to a cargo carrier by Seattle Construction & Dry Dock Co. from March 1917 to February 1918. The ship was then re-commissioned as a receiving ship at Yerba Buena Island, CA on June 18, 1918. The USS Boston was Renamed the USS Dispatch in August of 1940, and came to its final resting place at sea, where it was towed and sunk April 8, 1946. The two historic guns were saved as part of our United States Naval history. The Navy hospital to the south of Hamlin Park had the mounted guns installed at the hospital’s administration center. Thanks to Erling Ask and others who contributed information for this history article.
The Holloway Family
It was thought to be a smuggler’s cabin, evidenced by the “widow walk” around the turret-like upper story for spotting delivery boats, and the many hiding places that were found inside the cabin walls and floors. Opium smuggling was a big business at that time, and is quite likely that the cabin was built there for that purpose, and without the property owner’s permission. In October of 1889, Lena Holloway was born. She is pictured in a highchair sitting in front of a woman who is possibly her mother Sadie, who is standing closest to the cabin.
The WPA at Richmond Beach School
The Robinson Thoroughbred Farm
Lake City’s Rush Drake
It’s quite possible that you didn’t even know that “Rush Drake” was an actual person. He and his wife Barbara Lindblom Drake moved to Lake Forest Park in 1916. They had a daughter named Barbara Lindblom Drake Junior (really!) who became Barbara L. Drake Bender, the writer of “Growing Up with Lake Forest Park,” two incredible volumes of history. Daughter Barbara was also an artist and art teacher, and she invented the logo for Rush Drake insurance – a picture of “rushes” (the cattails) and the “drake” (a male duck). After working for other since 1919, Rush Drake finally opened his own in 1942 in the small house-converted-to-office building seen in the upper left corner of the article. In 1950, Drake’s partner, Cornelius “Corny” Jenkins bought the business but kept the name, which was synonymous with honesty and quality customer. The little building was eventually replaced by the modern structure in 1965, which remains today. The logo is a little different, but the current owner of the company still uses a stylized flying duck!
The Morton Anderson Family
January 8, 1926 – Thor Thorson
More on the Holloways
The Higgins Manor House on 5th NE
Ronald Bog and its Man-made Lake
The bog is a natural formation of layers and layers of peat that once supported an ecosystem that included wild cranberries. Duwamish people from the permanent settlements beside Lake Washington, Lake Union and Salmon Bay, and other tribes visiting from Snohomish county, came to the bog to harvest the cranberries and other edible plants that grew there. The bog was also a central stopover place on the portage route from Lake Washington to Puget Sound.
The Rogers General Store
The Lake Forest Park “Front”
The Lake Forest Park Mosquito Fleet Pier, 1912
Wurdemann house. left, and Croxton Rion house, right, 1915
Lake Forest Park was just getting started when the photo on the left was taken, possibly by Asahel Curtis. The photographer is standing on the Mosquito Fleet Pier (the forerunner of today’s ferry system), looking back at what would become the intersection of Bothell Way and Ballinger Way. Paving work is just being done on the Gehr Erickson (Bothell Way) road. In just two years, the scene would change to include several homes, one of which would stand exactly where the little North Seattle Improvement Company Real Estate office is, off in the distance in the next photo. That home is the Wurdemann mansion, which still stands today.
Shoreline Community College in the Rough
Greenwood and Innis Arden Way, 1954
Although the Innis Arden development was hot property by 1954, the infrastructure had not yet caught up. Model homes were featured in Sunset Magazine, but they failed to mention needing all-terrain tires on your car, and mud boots on your feet in order to reach the area. The road actually cut through what would later become the Shoreline Community College campus and had to be moved in order for the campus to be all one. undivided piece of property. Ray Howard and Fran Holman negotiated with the Boeing estate to purchase the property for the school district.
Bootleggers at 8th Avenue NW on Richmond Beach Road
1925 Seattle Times image of the Richmond Beach property where a still was being run in the barn “out back” of the house
The house was located at the southeast corner of 8th NW and NW Richmond Beach Road, where today stands a “Rite Aid” drug store, which used to be a Tradewell Grocery store. John Lusk, a bootlegger, was running a still in the barn, apparently unbeknownst to the owners of the farm. They appeared to be quite puzzled upon learning of Mr. Lusk’s real chosen profession.